LEARN THE 5 SECRETS TO OPTIMIZE YOUR WATER TREATMENT
|

Frequently Asked Questions—Chlorine Dioxide Disinfectants

ATS ChemDepot distributes the chlorine dioxide disinfectant TwinOxide. Chlorine dioxide has been used for years in water treatment and has recently been made into a surface disinfectant. The concentration of chlorine dioxide in TwinOxide makes it safer and easier to use and minimizes its effect on the surfaces and materials with which it comes in contact.  

What is TwinOxide?

TwinOxide is a chlorine dioxide disinfectant that is both effective against dangerous pathogens and safe to use. When used correctly, chlorine dioxide kills bacteria, algae, fungi, coronaviruses, spores, protozoan, yeast, pathogens, viruses, mold, and biofilm because of its unique oxidizing capacity.

To date, no microorganism has proven resistant to chlorine dioxide.

How does TwinOxide work?

Chlorine dioxide (ClO2), the primary ingredient in TwinOxide, kills microorganisms by reacting directly with amino acids and RNA, preventing the production of proteins. Unlike non-oxidizing disinfectants, ClOreacts directly with cell walls, killing active and inactive cells alike. Because of this, microorganisms cannot grow resistant to or become tolerant of ClO2, allowing for lower effective doses than non-oxidizing disinfectants.

ClO2 also kills viruses by reacting with peptone, an essential compound in protein production.

Chlorine dioxide differs from other chlorine compounds in its high water solubility, being approximately 10 times more soluble in water than chlorine. In a solution, ClOis stored as a dissolved gas, allowing it to remain highly active for its shelf life.

Is TwinOxide a chlorine disinfectant?

While chlorine can be found in its name, chlorine dioxide-based disinfectants like TwinOxide are not considered a chlorine-type disinfectant, making it much easier to use and safer to apply.

How do I apply TwinOxide?

TwinOxide can be used as a sprayed and misted/fogged disinfectant. Remember, treatment areas do not need to be wiped down after application. The disinfectant leaves no residuals and is noncorrosive.

To use as a spray, spray the treatment area with the undiluted solution. Allow it to remain wet for 5 to 10 minutes.

To use as a fog or mist, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using disinfectants.

What is the shelf life of TwinOxide?

TwinOxide is best used within 3 months of the manufactured date and expire 1 year after the manufactured date. The manufactured date is listed on the container’s label.

Do I need to wipe TwinOxide off after spraying surfaces?

TwinOxide leaves no residual elements, is not corrosive or destructive to surfaces, and is safe to apply without wiping it off; however, if you would like to wipe surfaces off after application, be sure to let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before wiping to ensure a complete kill of all surface contaminants.

How long does TwinOxide work after applying?

Based on its current concentration, the disinfectant solution will rapidly kill surface contaminants on any surface within minutes with no residue left behind. As with most disinfectants, surfaces are almost immediately exposed to additional contamination after disinfection, although the rate of contamination varies depending on environmental circumstances. To mitigate this, you can periodically apply the disinfecting solution to surfaces you believe may have had contact with pathogens.

As with most disinfectants, the solution does not provide residual kill over a long period of time. It is designed to kill what exists on the surface at that moment. Surfaces will become recontaminated eventually and will require additional treatment over time.

Will TwinOxide ruin paint, stain, or wood?

While it won’t discolor clothing like other bleach disinfectant sprays at its current concentration, it is recommended to test any fabric to ensure there is no abnormal discoloring before application. That said, the disinfectant is safe on all surfaces and is not corrosive or destructive to metals, plastics, paint, wood, and other surfaces.

Should I dilute TwinOxide?

TwinOxide comes ready to use and is safe at the commercially available concentration. For fogging applications where humans are present, we recommend diluting the solution down with water to a 1:1 ratio. Nevertheless, it is safe to breathe during application, and it will not irritate the skin or eyes at the current concentration.

Is it safe to spray or fog TwinOxide with other people around?

TwinOxide is safe to breathe at the commercially available concentration. For fogging applications where humans are present, we recommend diluting the solution down with water in a 1:1 ratio; that said, the disinfecting solution will not irritate the skin or eyes at commercially available concentration levels. Additionally, personal protection equipment (PPE) is not required during its application.

How long after fogging can people enter an area treated with TwinOxide?

TwinOxide is safe to breathe and will not irritate the skin or eyes at the commercially available concentration. Additionally, personal protection equipment (PPE) is not required during or after its application.

The OSHA human exposure limit related to chlorine dioxide is 0.1 ppm time-weighted average (TWA) in the air for 8 hours of continuous exposure, or 0.3 ppm for 15 minutes short-term exposure limit (STEL), and 3 ppm for immediate danger to life or health.

This air exposure limit will not be reached in typical spraying applications. To achieve this level of exposure would require a very small room with no ventilation or air changes, and fogging a highly concentrated solution for a very long period of time. TwinOxide is ready-to-use products with a low 50 ppm concentration. That concentration maintains safe exposure that is well below the OSHA standard.

What kind of personal protection equipment (PPE) should be worn when fogging TwinOxide?

Personal protection equipment (PPE) is not required while fogging TwinOxide. TwinOxide is safe to breathe and will not irritate the skin or eyes at the commercially available concentration.

The OSHA human exposure limit related to chlorine dioxide is 0.1 ppm time-weighted average (TWA) in the air for 8 hours of continuous exposure, or 0.3 ppm for 15 minutes short-term exposure limit (STEL), and 3 ppm for immediate danger to life or health.

This air exposure limit will not be reached in typical spraying applications. To achieve this level of exposure would require a very small room with no ventilation or air changes, and fogging a highly concentrated solution for a very long period of time. TwinOxide is ready-to-use products with a low 50 ppm concentration. That concentration maintains safe exposure that is well below the OSHA standard.

Do I need to wipe down surfaces after fogging TwinOxide?

TwinOxide leaves no residual elements, is not corrosive or destructive to surfaces, and is is to apply without wiping off surfaces; however, if you would like to wipe the solution off after application, be sure to let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before wiping to ensure a complete kill of all surface contaminants.

Can I drink TwinOxide?

No. While the disinfectant solution is certified as a spray-on, leave-on food additive and approved for use as a primary disinfectant in the purification of drinking water (at higher concentrations), it is not approved for use in humans internally. No adverse side effects are expected if it is accidentally ingested, but please refrain from ingesting it intentionally.

If necessary, please refer to the TwinOxide Safety Data Sheet or call the 24-hour InfoTrac number at 800.535.5053.

601 West 6825 South
Midvale, Utah 84047
© ATS ChemDepot 2020